With life set to soon begin to return to normal after weeks of isolation and quarantine due to COVID-19. There will be a lot of people who need help, prayers, and assistance. How will you recover your lifestyle? Will you become fearful of what may happen in the future? Are there things you can do to help someone else? The Bible says…“You are the salt of the earth…. You are the light of the world” (Matthew 5:13-14, NIV). In these verses, Jesus isn’t talking just to Christians collectively; He’s talking to each of us individually. He’s calling you personally to “let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (verse 16).
Have you ever wondered how you can really be “salt and light” in the world? A big part of that call is to live a life that is separated from the world—something that looks much different than how everyone else lives. But the “good deeds” He is referring to include the way we serve others in our community, as well. Maybe you have a genuine desire to be salt and light, but don’t know where to start. Here is something you must remember: You don’t have to be on television to make a difference. You don’t have to be a billionaire to change the world. You don’t have to be famous to change a life. You just need a heart that follows Jesus because a heart after His is one that loves others with great fervor.
Here are 16 ways you become an involved citizen and help make a difference in your community, our country, and the world.
- Feed the Hungry. Get involved with a local food bank, serve at a soup kitchen, or start an outreach at your home church. Jesus always started by meeting needs before He taught the people about God.
- Adopt a Child. There are so many children in foster care without homes or godly guidance. Prayerfully consider opening your home to a child and being the hands and feet of Jesus in their world.
- Build a Bridge. Invite someone who doesn’t look like you in to your home for a meal. When we take time to break bread with those who are from other races, cultures, or backgrounds, we build a bridge to unity so greatly needed in this nation.
- Register to vote. The Christian vote is changing the tide of the nation, but we must unite together to see lasting change. Stand up and be counted! Follow the Word of God into the voting booth, and bring biblical values back to our nation.
- Consider Running for Office. We need more godly, Bible-believing Christians in public office who will stand for biblical values in every area of government. Will you be one of these who serves? Consider running for the school board, city council, mayor, or any other local office. We need people like you!
- Attend School Board or City Council Meetings. If you don’t feel God leading you to run for office, you can have an impact simply by attending these meetings and speaking up! Many important decisions that affect life in your community and schools are made here. These are usually open to the public.
- Donate Your Services. There are many local ministries, organizations, grassroots Christian political groups, and others who could benefit from your professional expertise. Consider donating your services, either short-term or long-term.
- Prayer Walk in Your Community. The power of prayer can break strongholds, provide Psalm 91 protection, and loose the Holy Spirit over schools, government offices, and neighborhoods. Find a place that needs it most, and prayer walk in your community.
- Be Active at Your Child’s School. Shine a light in your children’s schools by volunteering your time and taking the opportunity to show the love of God to teachers, administrators, students, and other parents. Be a voice about curriculum choices and religious freedoms, as well.
- Pray Fervently. Above all, the power of prayer for your community, city, state, and nation are the first line of defense. Consider joining an intercessory prayer group or start one yourself. Pray for those who are lost and for a great awakening in this nation!
When you make these 10 ways to become an involved Christian citizen a regular part of your life, you will answer the call of Jesus to be salt and light. Not only that, but you will also bless yourself in the process (Acts 20:35)! So, roll up your sleeves and take Jesus to the world!